Focke-Wulf Fw 190
Specifications (Fw 190A-8):
- Engine: One 2,100-hp BMW 801D-2 radial piston engine
- Weight: Empty 6,989 lbs.
- Max Takeoff 10,802 lbs.
- Wing Span: 34ft. 5.5in.
- Length: 29ft. 1.5in.
- Height: 13ft. 0in.
- Maximum Speed: 408 mph
- Ceiling: 37,400 ft.
- Range: 500 miles
- Armament: Two 7.92-mm (0.31-inch) machine guns in nose. Up to four 20-mm MG 151 guns in wings. Wide range of underwing and under-fuselage bombs, guns and rockets.
- Number Built: 20,051 (All variants)
The Focke-Wulf Fw 190 was the work of a team of German designers headed by the famous Kurt Tank. It was evolved basically as a successor to the Messerschmitt Bf 109 fighter, although the official view was that it would never be capable of matching the operational prowess of the Bf 109.
How wrong this proved! Chief company designer Kurt Tank’s Wurger (Butcher Bird) was Germanys most potent piston-powered World War II fighter When the Fw 190A entered combat in the summer of 1941. It immediately outclassed the Spitfire V, which appeared sluggish and outdated by comparison. From that time on, in spite of some severe problems with the BMW 801 engine, the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 kept even or ahead of Allied fighters through successive versions.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8/U-1 –>Fw 190 S-8
Specifications (Fw 190A-8/U-1):
- Powerplant: One 1700hp BMW 801D-2 radial
- Maximum speed: 657 km/h at 6300m (410mph at 20,700ft)
- Airframe: Metal
- Skin: Metal
- Span: 10,5 m (34ft 5in)
- Lenght: 8,96m (29ft 5in)
- Loaded weight: 4899kg (10,800lb)
- Armament: (for the standard single-seat fighter): Two 13mm MG131 maschine guns, four 20mm MG151 cannon.
As the Luftwaffe phased out older aircraft such as the Ju 87, and replaced them with the Focke-Wulf Fw 190, many pilots required flight training to make the transition as quickly and smoothly as possible.
Thus was born the Schulflugzeug (literally “school airplane”) training version of the Focke-Wulf Fw 190. Several old Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-5s, and later in 1944, A-8s, were converted by replacing the MW 50 tank with a second cockpit.
The canopy was modified, replaced with a new three section unit, which opened to the side, similar to the Bf 109. The rear portion of the fuselage was closed off with sheet metal.
Originally designated Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A8-U1, were later given the Fw 190 S-5 and S-8 designation. There were an estimated 58 Fw 190 S-5 and S-8 models converted or built.
Type: Single-seat fighter – converted to two-seat trainer